Wednesday, April 17, 2013

We Got This: Reflections on the 117th Boston Marathon April 15 2013

I wrote the following after returning home on Monday April 15th 2013, after the terrible events that occurred at the Boston Marathon.

Before I rest I want to share a few thoughts. Like everyone I am trying to process and will never understand why the events in Boston happened.


It occurs to me that many runners who would have been finishing the marathon at the time of the tragedy could have been charity runners, those without a qualifying time who decided to run Boston for the personal challenge and to make a difference in the broader community. And that some of these victims and nearby spectators were their loved ones, or perhaps victims of conditions that the athletes are trying to cure or relieve. I find it particularly obscene the thought that such a population would be targeted in such a violent and cruel fashion.

Before the race I had the distinct pleasure to meet a fellow charity runner. He explained how difficult his journey was to get to this day, including his children having illnesses over the winter that required multiple trips to the emergency room. I offered the thought that crossing the finish line would be that much sweeter knowing he and his family had persevered through that difficulty. His projected finish time was anywhere from 4 hours to 4:30 that would have been dangerously close to when the tragedy occurred on Boylston Street. He told me his family would be waiting for him at the finish line. Luckily I was able to determine afterward that he and his family are safe and well.

I did not have the race I expected to have today, but that is immaterial. I struggled with various issues, including muscle cramps in my legs while descending Heartbreak Hill. As I went to stretch my quadricep muscle that was in pain, my hamstring in the same leg seized up and I fell to the ground. A very generous fellow runner stopped to help. He instructed me to straighten my leg while he pressed my toes toward my body, to work out the cramp. The athlete's name is Hyunsuk, Park IV from Daegu South Korea, bib number 6992. I made certain to remember his bib number because I was very impressed with his actions. A few miles later I found myself paying it back by helping another athlete with the very same issue. It took a moment for this man to accept my help, but I explained I learned the technique a mile or so before! I knew that my race was over due to my earlier issues, so it was really no problem to stop and help. At the finish I found the first athlete who helped me and made sure to thank him. We could not communicate very well because of the language difference but of course we understood each other. Here, in this relatively insignificant case, is a good example of the spirit of the marathon and I am fortunate to have experienced it.

And finally I was simply blown away by the sheer volume of friends and family who expressed concern about my well being and that of my wife, children, brother, sister in-law and parents who all were spectators today. My parents, Jon and Colleen actually traveled along the course, stopping at different points including at mile 25 on Commonwealth Avenue to see me. They cheered me on in Ashland, Natick, Wellesley, Newton and Boston - wow! It's hard to express what that feels like - but imagine what it is like to know that you have family that is moved to make signs for you like this one that my mother made. And to receive a surprise note from your wife in your duffel bag on race morning.

In runner's speak, "We Got This", and it's a beautiful thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment